Our network

Accidental Annandale House Fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Accidental Annandale House Fire
Accidental Annandale House Fire

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Saturday, January 29, 2011, at approximately 3:25 p.m. in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located 9204 Kristin Lane.

Firefighters encountered fire and smoke coming from the rear and sides of the one-story home upon arrival. Firefighters contended with several downed power lines while fighting the fire. Firefighters extinguished the fire in approximately 20 minutes. Smoke alarms activated and provided early warning for the occupants. The early warning allowed the three adults to escape unharmed.  The occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was declined.

Damage is estimated at $375,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the office area caused the fire.

Electrical Safety Tips 

  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.   
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI).  This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together.  An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.