Our network

Home & Garden

Flooding Safety Tips and Previous Flooding Locations

Flooding Safety Tips and Previous Flooding Locations

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

 

Flash flooding of roads, streams, and other low-lying areas during heavy and prolonged rainfall can be dangerous. This is especially true for motorists attempting to negotiate a roadway that cannot be easily seen because of high water and limited visibility. Flooding due to high rainfall and swollen streams can take its toll on the unsuspecting driver. The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department offers the following safety tips when flooding is forecasted and locations of past flooding areas. 

Never drive through a flooded roadway; the depth, current, and condition of the road are all unknowns and can be deadly.

If you come to a flooded area while driving, stop and take an alternate route.

If your vehicle stalls on a flooded road and water is rising, get out of car, call 911, and move to higher ground.

Accidental Annandale House Fire

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

 

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Wednesday, July 27, 2011, at approximately 7:45 a.m., in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 9203 Alyssum Way.

Going Green Can Be Stress Free

For some people going green can be stressful.  Many of us see environmental consciousness as another project to add to a  never-ending and always growing to do list. Other thoughts I’ve heard are: What’s it going to cost?  I don’t have the time for this; everyone else is doing it so I don’t have to bother…one person won’t make a difference. 

     Well, let’s clear up these negative misconceptions.  Yes, you do make a difference.  A positive difference!  And yes, it will make a difference in your life, in your health, and for future generations. Think of your kids and grandkids! Remember, when you light a candle and then light many other candles from that original flame, you will not diminish the light of the original candle…you can light up the world from the original flame.  How’s that for the power of one?

Mortgage Assistance Workshops to be Held July 13, 16

From Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs:

 

The Hunter Mill District Office is sponsoring two workshops to help residents who may need mortgage assistance. The first workshop is Wednesday, July 13, at 7 p.m. in the Pennino Building, 12011 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, Room 206, A/B. A second workshop will be conducted in Spanish and Vietnamese on Saturday, July 16, at 9 a.m. in the same location.

Fairfax County Names Non-Profit Partner for Affordable Housing Program

From Fairfax County:

 

June 22, 2011 – Fairfax County has named the Northern Virginia Family Service Collaborative (NVFS) as its provider for the county’s newest affordable housing program. Bridging Affordability, a key component of the Housing Blueprint, through its partnership with NVFS will leverage resources generated by the County’s housing program to provide long-term rental subsidies to 72 homeless individuals and families and an additional 303 households on the county’s affordable housing waiting lists. 

 

Accidental West Annandale Kitchen Fire

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Friday, May 6, 2011, at approximately 12:50 p.m. in the West Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 4041 Taylor Drive.

Firefighters encountered fire and smoke coming from the front of the ranch-style home upon arrival. Firefighters quickly initiated an interior fire attack inside the home and in several minutes extinguished the fire in the kitchen. The fire was primarily contained to the immediate area; however, there was smoke and water damage throughout the living area.  The lone occupant at home escaped unharmed prior to firefighters arriving on scene. The family pets also escaped unharmed. Two adults and three pets have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family. Additionally, the home had no working smoke alarms.

Damage is estimated at $75,000.